« Dorothy Dixon Update - Trial Now Set for December 7, 2009 | Main | Black Women for Wellness: Good News Tuesday »
Thursday
Oct222009

Additional Background on Megan Williams Case You WON'T Read From the Associated Press

In today's post, you will read information that the lazy news media will not report about the latest saga in the Megan Williams story. I have no idea what happened in this case, but I clearly know more than Dugald McConnell, (TOM BREEN or MATT LEINGANG).

I am reposting comments that were left on this blog months ago, as well as emails you have not seen. Once you have read these for yourself, form your own opinions as to the credibility of those pushing this current version of the story.

Mr Byron Potts, Megan's attorney said she's not speaking and provided his explanation, but a review of the archives of this blog will reveal that Megan's handlers have been planning this for months and they provided insights into their possible motivations. In fact someone purporting to be Megan spelled out what her objective was back in June. It wasn't to set the accused and convicted free, but to send her father/stepfather/foster father to jail and write a book because she didn't receive any of the proceeds of the money that was donated to her.

By now you've read the Associated Press version (prepared by Dugald McConnell ) of Megan Williams recanting her torture allegations. This was Rev. Sharpton's response:
Sharpton said, "If they are being held under false information and she misled authorities, and if the authorities went solely on her testimony, then they should be released." But he added, "If there are other circumstances around the recanting, we should know what they are." CNN.com

Well Gee, Rev. Al, you were part of the team that dragged her from her hospital bed to a podium two years ago, shouldn't you do a little investigation into these "circumstances." Did you ask what those "circumstances" are? I have no doubt that if these same individuals reached out to ME, they also attempted to reach out to Rev. Sharpton. And to Mr. Byron Potts, the "attorney" did you know that Megan's current care givers are MIFFED because Carmen Williams left Megan penniless? I mean when did Megan's current handler contact you, because they started hounding me back in June 2009.

Rev. Al, let me present you with some additional "circumstances" since journalism as we know it is in the toilet, and investigative journalism fell in the grave with Ed Bradley, I wanted to provide you with some additional background in this case, courtesy of the blog comment's section.

From the begginning of this case, I felt Megan Williams was being exploited by those closest to her. In fact you can listen to me confront one of the original exploiters on my podcast in 2007 ( Along with Shecodes & Black Achievement):
For WEEKS I have been asking who was looking out for Megan Williams and so have some other bloggers.. When I say looking out for her, I mean HER, the human being, not HER, the symbol. On November 2nd on Essential Presence, I even asked if it was possible to have a guardian or trustee appointed and was curious as to why that had not been done considering the money being donated and some of the decisions Carmen has been making. WAOD November , 2009

Megan's current regime of handlers announced MONTHS ago on this blog, and in annoying emails to me that they were going to be making this announcement on October 21st. My surprise is only in that they found a lawyer to act as their spokesperson and that the AP reprinted the story with no additional investigation. Here are some of the comments that popped up in June. And those wondering why they came to this blog, its actually quite common in criminal cases we cover to have people leave comments months or years after we've posted about a story. Happens all the time, I just don't typically highlight these comments.
#2 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 06.10.09 at 10:59 pm

megan williams lived in columbus ohio will as her sister shayla williams far as carmen williams is no longer here i do apologise to hear that but the kidnapp is all wrong the location was at 216 stockton st. no rat dogg human poo no christa it is a twisted truth believe me i know get back thanks
#3 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 06.28.09 at 11:20 am

will i guess nobody tryin to work with me and megan williams about getting the truth out it isgoing to happen god will see o that on oct.21 2009 we are having another march rally but it will be in columbus ohio this time iit s alled th twisted truth of megan williams yes here is the contact number 614 **** feel free to call anytime the truth will come out thanks
#4 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 07.08.09 at 9:20 pm

will we are holding a march and rally oct.21 2009 downtown columbus THE TWISTED TRUTH OF MEGAN WILLIAMS JUSTICE WAS NOT SERVE FULLING IT IS MORE TO ITFOR INFORMATION GET BACK PLEASE THANKS

I started receiving many comments like these. I deleted the initial batch, but when they posted that Carmen Williams died, I confirmed their assertions with a Google search and posted the following post: What Ever Happened to Megan Williams? Carmen Williams Died last week.

Here is one of the comments I deleted, but before I sent it to the big blog trash can in the sky, my gut said I at least ought to save it and the IP info so I did. I am posting it now because I think it sheds some light on the possible motivations behind this current "episode":
NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL
http://WWW.MYSPACE.COMNAMARRAHSEAGAL | NAMARRAHSEAGAL@AOL.COM | 71.79.*****[I am happy to provide the full IP and telephone info to a law enforcement agency upon request, but as a general practice I don't publicly post this information on the blog.]

YOU CAN CONTACT US AT 614 **** IT IS A TWISTED TRUTH OF MEGAN WILLIAMS THE WORLD NEED TO KNOW MEGAN DID NOT SEE NO MONIES IT IS MORE TO THE TORTUER IN LOGAN COUNTY W,VA SHE GOT PICK UP AT 216 STOCKTON ST NOT DUNBAR NO RAT DOG HUMAN POO ETC. MEGAN BEEN IN COLUMBUS OHIO FOR A YEAR WILL AS HER SISTER SHAYLA WILLIAMS PLEASE GET IN TOUCH A.S.A.P PEOPLE NEED TO KNOW

From Y’all Pray For Megan Williams:Four Ring Circus Adds 5th Ring, 2009/06/07 at 10:55 PM
2009/06/07 Approve | Spam | Delete

NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL
http://WWW.MYSPACE.COMNAMARRAHSEAGAL | NAMARRAHSEAGAL@AOL.COM | 71********

MEGAN WILLIAMS BEEN IN COLUMBUS OHIO OVER 6 MONTHS DUE TO CARMEN WILLIAMS HAD ATTACT HER IN PIZZA HUT MEGAN WILLIAMS WAS NOT PICK UP IN DUMBAR SHE WAS PICK UP AT 216 STOCKTON ST CHARLESTON W.VA YOU CAN CONTACT MEGAN WILLIAMS I ALSO HAVE SHAYLA WILLIAMS THEY BOTH DOING WELL AND HAPPY IT IS SAD WHAT HAPPEN TO CARMEN WILLIAMS NUMBER IS 614-**** OR 614-*****THANK MUCH

From Megan Williams Rally: Prosecutor, NAACP(*cough*), local ministers adivise NO- New Black Panther Party and Carmen Say "Whatever", 2009/06/07 at 9:03 PM

I've been doing this for a while and have been approached by everyone from rape victims to mothers in the middle of UGLY child custody battles. They never made it to the blog and for numerous reasons, I steer well clear of folks CLEARLY IN THE NEED OF COMPETENT LEGAL COUNSEL. This interaction had THREE RING CIRCUS written all over it, but I addressed it in a post because I had serious concerns about Megan William's well being. The person now in control of her was appeared to be exploiting her. After I posted this post asking what happened to Megan, this blog received a flurry of comments from someone claiming to be Megan's caregiver and someone claiming to be Megan herself. Most made it through, I deleted several. Mind you, these comments started prior to June 11th.
#15 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 06.11.09 at 9:26 am

yes that is what i said mean thus is the twisted truth of megan williams she got taken from 216 stocktom st. no rat dogg human poo no christa no hot water no gun i got phone threats from carmen williams soon as i got both sisiters in columbus ohio her husband matthrew williams also abuse megan yes i got kids i got five daugthers i even got phone threats from cy manning shayla williams s babies dad he dogg shayla it is alot to it then people think so get back please do not jugde me help me thanks

#17 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 06.15.09 at 1:52 pm

yes that is what i am sayin carmen williams and mattrew williams spend all megan s money up and mattrew williams do know went down in sep, 2007 ordeal about megan willia missing and she do have a little sister shayla williams they both ben abnus but no more said mrs.seagal i am out for justice people need to know the real truth please get back thanks

In this comment, the commenter purports to be Megan Williams.
#18 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 06.15.09 at 6:13 pm

hi this is megan williams i do have a sister and she is 21 years old carmen got what she deserve now she cannot hurt me nolonger,now it’s matthew williams turn to face the consequences because him and carmen williams both spent my money and i did not get a dime of it so he deserves punishment time in prison carmen is the reason why i got stabbed and i think the whole world nationwide needs to know ifnoone listens to me and my mom valencia daniels then we will make our own noise. and do a movie and write our own book. carmen williams and matthew williams knew they were wrong. everybody thinks im going to feel sorry for carmen williams im not i don’t care carmen’s a bitch then she dies noone can change my feelings the way i feel i do not care!

There was more
#22 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 06.26.09 at 1:00 pm

YES IT IS NA-MAR-RAH SEAGAL AND MEGAN WILLIAMS LETTING PEOPLE KNOW WHAT REALLY HAPPEN IN SEPT. 2007 YES ITIS REALLY MEGAN WILLIAMS WE DO WANT THE TRUE STORY TO GET OUT WE WILL NOT GIVE UP THIS NA-MAR-RAH SEAGAL HI EVEYONE THIS I MEGAN WILIAMS LETTING YOU KNOW I NOW LIVE IN COLUMBUS OHIO WITH MY NEW MOM IT HAS BEEN A YEAR JUNE 23. 2009 MY SISTER SHAYLA WILLIAMS ALSO LIVES WITH ME IT HAS BEEN A YEAR APRIL 10 2009. WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET CARMEN WILLIMS SENT TO PRISON AS WELL AS MATTHEW WILLIAMS, ETC. THANKS MUCH
#23 NA-MAR=RAH SEAGAL on 07.08.09 at 10:08 pm

will it is really megan wiliams,na-mar-rah seagal so there is another way of doing it i will try to send pictures like i said i will try but megan williams got taken from 216 stockton st. with the help of others so come on out and hear the truth i mean the truth so come out hear the truth get back thanks

Here is one that came through the contact form after I posted about Carmen William's death.
Name Na-Mar-Seagal Seagal
Company N/A
Email Namarrahseagal@aol.com
Contact Purpose Feedback
Subject THE TWISTED TRUTH OF MEGAN WILLIAMS
Description THIS IS REALLY ME AND MEGAN WILLIAMS YOU HAVE MY NUMBER AND EMAIL I ASSUME SO YOU CAN REACH ME WHENEVER YOU WANT TO VERIFY OR HEAR WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY THANKS IN ADVANCE

NAMARRAH SEAGAL

My feeling then as it is now was that Al Sharpton, the local NAACP and Malik Shabazz exploited her and then threw her away. I wasn't going to assist in exploiting her again. If she indeed wanted to recant, the appropriate way to do that, would have been to contact the DA and the defense attorney's not a blog. This current episode isn't about recanting. its about the fact that once Sharpton and Shabazz threw Megan Williams in the trash, she became dependent on someone whose motivations I question, and that's about the MILDEST description I can muster. .

You can go back and review the earlier blog posts for yourself and search the site for the commentor's name. It should pull up all of their comments.

So you knew months ago that they were planning to announce that Megan was recanting her story today. Why are you now surprised that unscrupulous attention-seekers are doing what they said they would do? Further more I question the intelligence and sanity of the person who left these comments. But more important, what exactly are the motivations of someone who would sit on a recantation for MONTHS? Why would they set up a publicity event and publicize it as if this was a movie premier? Furthermore, what kind of caregiver, not to mention someone purporting to be an attorney, marches a disabled woman straight into a thicket of criminal liability in such a high profile manner?

As a blogger, I am always cynical about someone SEEKING my attention for the sole purpose of getting attention.I condemned Carmen Williams two years ago for dragging the news media in the hospital room while Megan's flesh was still oozing from gangrene ("Who is Looking Out for Megan Williams? I'm Starting to Wonder)". I ridiculed and mocked the circus created my Al Sharpton, the local NAACP, and Malik Shabazz (Y’all Pray For Megan Williams:Four Ring Circus Adds 5th Ring See also Megan Williams Update: Three Ring Circus Adds Fourth Ring).

Al Sharpton's brother even BUM RUSHED my “Good News” podcast to try to persuade me that Megan wasn't being used and exploited. I had pretty critical of the cast of characters surrounding Megan in 2007.
REBROADCAST Thursday, December 20, 2007 was supposed to be the Good News Edition of our show where we had nothing but good news, however, we had severe technical difficulties for the first 30 minutes and when we finally got going the first caller wanted to talk about Megan Williams. It was the Rev. Kenneth Glasgow of The Ordinary People Society, who happens to be the brother of Rev. Al Sharpton, and was one of tfe organizers of a rally that I criticized on my blog, What About Our Daughters. Blog Talk Radio

You can hear how tired I sounded back then. Its a long show, so download it on i-tunes and listen to it on the way to work. The biggest mistake this prosecutor EVER made was backing down from seeking a guardian for Megan Williams.

So when yet another attention-seeker started blowing up my inbox to announce a big event in October, I ignored it and will continue to do so. Its amazing how many people forget that Megan is mentally disabled and dependent on her care givers.

Was Megan telling the truth two years ago or is she telling the truth now? I have no way of knowing. What I do know is that she's a mentally disabled woman that is being passed around like a rag doll and exploited. I said two years ago she was being exploited. I said two months ago, she's being exploited. I'm saying today, she's being exploited.

So chat away. I'm only posting on this so you can stop emailing me as if this is news. They told y'all MONTHS ago, they were going to do this. So I'm asking the same question I asked two years ago, who is looking out for Megan Williams?

This thing will unfold in its own way on its own pace, but perhaps this offers all of you some additional information to decipher through the madness. You have 48-72 hours to comment as I will be closing up shop on Friday for National Novel Writing Month ( no the irony isn't lost on me that the truth can be stranger than fiction.) and cutting all ties to the internet.

Reader Comments (32)

It's tragic that this mentally ill woman has been led around the nose like this.

I think of stuff like this, of the Maia Campbells and various women from my hood who are manipulated by men. And these are women who have mental/psychiactric/emotional issues that render them almost helpless - not only the "regular" chicks who worship damaged black men and boys.

From what I've seen with my own two eyes, these are the states that men who then go on to abuse, rob, rape, manipulate said women, these are the states that they most prefer women to be in. You must be exhausted. Thank you for all you do on this blog.

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterDee

Sister, you've been on point about alot of this the whole time. This was a circus, unfortunately because it was never, EVER handled properly.

First, you don't parade rape victims, PERIOD. They need immediate medical, legal and psychological assistance, and all that that entails.

Secondly, why is it in the high profile cases of sisters being raped by White men, the "brothers" get up front, in front of the tv cameras and microphones, rather rape crisis counselors, violence against women advocates, community organizers on violence against women, etc? WHY DID MALIK SHABAZZ GET ALL UP FRONT GIVEN HIS HISTORY OF VERBAL AND PHYSICAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN? I knew him back in his Howard University days, he beat a former girlfriend, "why you asking me about that,she scratched me!"

These same "brothers" are no where to be found when it comes to "brothers" who abuse or rape our sisters, which as we all know, happens most often. I guess there's no story, no photo op in those cases, huh? You couldn't pay these "brothers" to attend a Take Back the Night event, to wear a purple ribbon against domestic violence for domestic violence awareness month, etc.

As for Sis. Megan "recanting" something is clearly wrong here; but I think the Prosecutor Abrahams was on to something when he said that based on physical evidence and the suspects own statements, there was still enough there to send them to jail; he didn't rely solely or primarily on what Sis. Megan said.

I'm really tired and disgusted by all of this; it makes our violence against women work so much more difficult; then to listen to Tom Joyner refuse to play Chris Brown's music, "Chris should never have hit her" yet he plays over and over again R. Kelly's music and promotes his current concert tour.
OH MY HOW FAR WE SLAVES HAVE COME. :( :(

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterRevMamaAfrika

BTW, does this now mean every time a Black woman is the "alledged" victim in a high profile rape case, she ABSOLUTELY will not be believed, especially if the "accused" is non-Black? I recall the Duke University "alledged" rape case; one the White men accused was also under charges for assault on a gay man in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC. Funny how after the press went for blood on the prosecutor in the Duke case, none of them mentioned this tidbit of information. :( :( :(

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterRevMamaAfrika

Two years later and now recant, somethings not right.

How can the accusers plead guilty if the entire act was a hoax??? What's up with the physical evidence that coincide with statements??? What about the anonymous tipster??? The sheriffs supposely saw her(Megan) limping out the house screaming for help???

***On a side note is it attention week are something, first the balloon guy, now this!!!!

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterLD

This is really disturbing..As a woman with mental illness in my family I know all to well how this story plays out. I knew something wasnt right when the news broke out yesterday of her story being recanted. I'm glad you brought this to the world's attention...

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterGoddess Intellect

You can copy and paste her name (Na-Mar-Seagal) in the search engine and this person wrote multiple comments on other people's blogs. It's really disturbing. My only issue is...they could have gone about it a better way...at least be clear in the message (grammatical, spelling).

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterEbony

Are the people who have been accused going to get out of jail and do people know that this woman is mentally ill? If she's ill, some may say she's crazy and she made up the whole thing but even if she's ill there is a possibility that she could have been telling the truth about what happened to her.

Someone may need to contact authorities to have this woman removed from her caregivers. If she's mentally ill, these people probably are taking her money and only want her around for money purposes.

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered Commenterhp

I got a headache from trying to decipher the postings.

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterNappy Mind

"developmentally delayed" or "mentally retarded" or "mildly retarded." Or perhaps just " a person with a low IQ." That does not mean what happened to her did not actually happen. Clearly something else is going on and like Sis. Gina said before, the fact that the had an rape crisis advocate (who I met when I went to WV back in November 2007), but not a court-appointed whatever they call them, speaks volumes that someone dropped the ball. :(

October 22, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterRevMamaAfrika

#8 Nappy Mind on 10.22.09 at 6:22 pm

I got a headache from trying to decipher the postings.
________________

Me too, so I'll just take everyone's word for it that this woman is being exploited. Once I saw how terribly written those posts are, and once I saw the name "Al Sharpton", I knew that some real shady & malicious bullshit was going down. :-|

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterSpinster

I hope a social service agency will intervene on Megan's behalf.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterMonie

"Sis. Megan Williams IS NOT MENTALLY ILL; a better, more accurate term to describe her is
“developmentally delayed” or “mentally retarded” or “mildly retarded.” Or perhaps just ” a person with a low IQ.” That does not mean what happened to her did not actually happen. Clearly something else is going on and like Sis. Gina said before, the fact that the had an rape crisis advocate (who I met when I went to WV back in November 2007), but not a court-appointed whatever they call them, speaks volumes that someone dropped the ball"

Yeah I think something happened and it's sickening that they've paraded this woman around the media like some sort of prop. Gina always says instead of sending her emails over and over again to pick up the phone and start emailing authorities. I don't know what else to do but sit here thinking about it and trying to figure out what's going on. Sad.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterDee

Well, I'm going to have to say, either way this goes, this is just an utter shame in regard to our criminal justice system. If she is lying and was led around, people went to JAIL, that is a travesty. If she isn't lying, and being manipulated to recant, again, horrific as she has been through more than enough. In any case this will not only be a set back for rape victims, BLACK rape victims in particular, but for Black people and the the state of race relations in this country in general. Should all that fall on this one case, of course not, but it is the sociological actuality.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterDJ Black Adam

@revma I'm going to disagree. The fact tha someone may have a dvelopmental disability does?lt mean they can't also suffer from mental illness. If I'd been abused and exploited my entire life, I'm pretty sure I would suffer from depression or PTSD at the very least. Acording to the latest AP article, she most certainly could be suffering from a psychosis.

Having rocketed to sudden "fame" myslef, computing that and making sense of it it extremely difficult. Imagine what she went through AND she was surrounded by vultures like Shabazz and Sharpton too.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered Commentergem2001

I read another story from one of the local WV nespapers that indicated the prosecutor's believed that Ms. Williams was being "led"by her defense team regarding the crimes committed against her, which is the reason they chose not to seek the Hate Crimes enhancement for the crimes, in addition to some other stuff. I'll try to locate the link and post it here.

The lead prosecutor on the case did find overwhelming physical evidence that a crime was committed and that the persons charged committed those crimes. While things may not have been as bad as Ms. Williams initially claimed, something happened. I also think that she was exploited by everyone, including her deceased mother and the usual Christian and Muslim pulpit pimps.

I'm of the opinion that Megan Williams is developmentally delayed and easily manipulated. The prosecutor also mentioned that he was aware that she had a tendency to exaggerate details so that ma be an indicator that she suffers from some type of mental/personality disorder as well.

I hope she gets the help and treatment she needs; it's obvious that her family doesn't mind exploiting her for a quick buck.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterBLKSeaGoat

Okay, I tried to read the email posts and couldn't. Is there any explanation as to why they think recanting would be of financial benefit to them? If anything, they might find themselves indicted. And if they can't write a post on a blog, how the hell are they planning to write a book? And just out of curiosity why October 21st? Is it of some significance that I'm missing? Please don't tell me to read the emails unless someone's going to provide a translation.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterRoslyn Holcomb

@roslyn if in their minds attention=money and gifts then the only way they could get attention in their minds might have been to ressurrect the story.

The person who wrote these things was clearly developmentally delayed. Its just like a movie star that does inexpected things for attention.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered Commentergem2001

@ Sis. Gina, oh, I agree; I didn't mean to give the idea that a person can't be "slow" and mentally ill at the same time. My bad. :)

But we do know Sis. Megan is at the very least "slow" which means more than likely she gets a SSI or some other kind of monthly check. Granted, it ain't much in most states, certainly not enough to live on, but I wonder did she ever get any type of job training. At my present job we have several developmentally delayed adults who work in our mailroom, etc. They do at least earn a living and/or live in a group home with similar people or with their families. I also maintain she should have had a court appointed whatever they call it to protect her interests. And if I remember correctly, Sis. Megan biological mother may still be alive. Whew! What a hot mess! :( :(

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterRevMamaAfrika

Yikes. Didn't realize that someone else posted this link already. Apologies for cluttering up the comment space. :-|

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterSpinster

When I read about the alleged recantment, it made me so sad. It's already hard enough for people to believe a black woman can be a victim without people doubting it.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterLa Belle Femme

Agreed with DJ Black Adam. I felt bad when I heard that Williams would be recanting her story. It is sickening that innocent people may have spent any amount of time in jail. I'm also afraid of what this will do to black rape victims. Black women have it hard enough in this society. People just don't believe that we are at times victims of rape and other brutalities. We don't need any more negative press. I'm angry.

October 23, 2009 | Unregistered Commenterlormarie

The plot thickens.

"It did happen," Brewster said during the interview at the Lakin Correctional Center, where she is serving 10 to 25 years. "All of us participated."

October 24, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterMiki

This "recanting" is being responded with a "duh" from those who claim, "There are virtually zero rapes of black women by white men in the United States" which comes from the racist screed The Truth of Interracial Rape in the United States which misused 2005 DOJ crime statistics.

The narrative often goes like this: crime data says white men don't rape black women so whenever a black woman reports being raped by one or more white men she is a liar.

This narrative is nonsensical but that doesn't stop too many people from accepting this nonsense.

October 24, 2009 | Unregistered Commenterabyss2hope

One of the suspects insists that the attack took place.

October 24, 2009 | Unregistered Commenterlormarie

Y'all trying to decipher whether the recanting is true or not. Before you can wade through the facts, someone needs to speak on the mental health and well being of Megan Williams and whether her lawyer, who she apparently found in the YELLOW PAGES has any authority to act or speak on her behalf. Megan Williams hasn't recanted anything. The only thing you have so far are the statements of a no name lawyer who MIGHT be speaking for someone who didn't even mental capacity to speak on her behalf. Just WAIT. This is one of those times where you have nothing to lose by letting this unfold.

The truth is that the journalists who reported this committed malpractice because they didn't ask some REALLY important questions before running with this story. In this case, they were transcriptionists NOT journalists.

October 24, 2009 | Unregistered Commentergem2001

@gem2001, I agree which is why I put the quotation marks around recanting. I should have been clearer that at this point this is an unfounded claim which has been reported as fact.

October 24, 2009 | Unregistered Commenterabyss2hope

RevMamaAfrika wrote:

[I recall the Duke University “alledged” rape case; one the White men accused was also under charges for assault on a gay man in the Georgetown area of Washington, DC. Funny how after the press went for blood on the prosecutor in the Duke case, none of them mentioned this tidbit of information. :( :( :(]

Just because a guy assaults someone doesn't make him guilty of rape.

For example, black manager, Polo Molina, manager of the Black Eyed Peas, punched an openly homosexual blogger, who called one of the band members an anti-homosexual slur. Read the background here:

I've yet to hear of Mr. Molina being charged with rape.

So, the media was right in not focusing on the assault case regarding the Duke player. Now, the player and his teammates are idiots for hiring strippers in the first place. (Next time, guys, do a family friendly celebration at Disney World!)

What IS tragic was how the stripper recanting her story began to cast doubt on Black rape victims overall:

More recent retractions like Williams story will further hurt Black women as well as sour race relations.

October 24, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterFred

Okay, I'm confused.

If seven people CONFESSED to torturing her, how the heck can she recant the story?

October 25, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterEnlightened

@eNLIGHTENED you're confused because you are operating with a logical adult mind. If your starting point is that of an ordinary well adjusted person, then it doesn't make sense, but imagine that you were developmentally delayed and that vulnerability meant you were abused and misused your entire life. Kept in a shed, abandoned by your mother etc.

Then all of a sudden all of these people rush into your life. You feel safe, you feel protected, you feel loved. You're the center of attention. Wouldn't you crave that again? I know I would. So if in your mind, you associated marches and rallies with being well cared for, you would want that again. Likewise, its entirely logical for a person whose been tortured and beaten want to believe that it didn't happen.

What the reporters who reported this story didn't do was exercise their own independent judgment. They acted as journalists and not transctiptionists. They should have asked where the lawyer came from. They should have researched the case and figured out all of the independent sources of information other than Megan.

Why can't people get this through their minds that she's not operating with the same cognitive ability as you or me? OH yes, now I remember, she's a Black woman. We're presumed to know all and control all. Its impossible for people to consider she didn't "know what she was doing."

October 25, 2009 | Unregistered Commentergem2001

Here's the latest on Megan Williams

WEST COLUMBIA, W.Va. (AP) — A woman imprisoned for her role in the 2007 kidnapping and torture of a black woman by seven white men and women in West Virginia said Friday the victim wasn’t telling the truth when she denied this week that the attack occurred.

“It did happen,” Brewster said during the interview at the Lakin Correctional Center, where she is serving 10 to 25 years. “All of us participated.”

October 27, 2009 | Unregistered CommenterSouthernGirl2

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):